Thursday, April 19, 2007

HDTV Flickering

Flicker:

The best way to explain flickering is to see an example of it. Before we go further, I must say that if you are someone that has photosensitive epilepsy, do not click this link, and if you're not sure, get consult your doctor and make sure someone is with you before you do. Links:

What this represents is the "refresh rate" of the TV. I've covered this in another section, but as it's important, I'll go over it again. The refresh rate of a TV is the number of times the picture is "refreshed" per second. It is measured in "Hertz (hz)." If you see a 60hz refresh rate, then that means the picture is shown 60 times per second to produce the moving images on screen. Here's the problem. The human eye requires on average, at least 70hz to avoid any stress. Anything below this can make the eye tired as what you're watching on screen, isn't fast enough, and the eye becomes fatigued as it is being strained.

Newer HDTV's are coming out with 120hz refresh rates. Some people claim that this is redundant as the human eye won't notice the difference over 70hz. I personally don't believe this is true as going back to my very first few articles, everyone has different perception and eyesight acuteness. For example, 100hz TVs have been the norm for quite some time in Europe while we have been stuck with 60hz here in the US. I fully notice the difference between 60, 70, and 100hz. I believe 120hz is a warm welcome and eradicates many other issues which I'll be going over in an upcoming article.

0 Comments: